Employment Opportunities at MAM
Family Assistance Programs
Family Assistance Program Supervisor
Family Assistance Programs at MAM help families in financial crisis avoid eviction and homelessness and provide help for families to meet their basic needs through financial assistance, Case Management and/or connections to other programs within MAM’s network of services and those available in the community. Family Assistance is one of many programs at MAM that help move clients to self-sufficiency. Team members actively engage clients and connect them to other programs such as Employment Services, Financial Education, Mental Health Counseling, Client Navigation and Advocacy, Immigration Legal Services, English Language and Citizenship Preparation instruction and disaster recovery services. MAM also provides application assistance for public benefits and facilitates access to a variety of free services and connections with community partners.
The Receptionist works in the Welcome Center/reception area, serving as one of the initial points of contact for clients and other visitors. The Receptionist greets/welcomes, answers questions/provides information on MAM programs and services, initiates Intake and information gathering. He or she also checks-in those arriving for appointments, assists with completion of intake forms, processes payments for some services, gathers and enters data and assists in other areas of service delivery.
- Serves as a first point of contact in the Welcome Center/Reception area, welcoming visitors and clients; checks-in those with appointments and notifies appropriate staff/volunteer.
- Routinely answers incoming calls and places out-going calls to clients, community partners, etc. for reminders, follow-ups, etc.
- Routinely conducts an initial screening of client eligibility and needs based on MAM’s scope of services, policies and procedures.
- Routinely distributes and assists/facilitates with completion of MAM’s Intake/registration forms.
- Routinely collects and reviews for accuracy all required client information and ensures that all data is correctly and promptly entered into the required data system(s).
- Ensures that all confidential information collected, entered or handled is protected from breach of confidentiality, including information shared verbally.
- Provides up-to-date information on the various programs of MAM to clients and visitors.
- Is familiar with, and communicates to clients and visitors, the most up-to-date information on policies and procedures relating to MAM programs.
- Assists with training of volunteers who work at the reception desk.
- Is knowledgeable of, personally committed to, implements and demonstrates in every interaction with clients, staff and volunteers MAM’s Mission, Philosophy of Services and Theory of Change.
- From the reception desk and in the Welcome Center, greets/welcomes clients, answers questions and provides information; notifies employees and volunteers when appointments and visitors have arrived; follows up.
- Handles incoming calls; places reminder calls to those requesting appointments for services (etc.) or collaborative partner services; places follow-up calls.
- Ensures accurate completion of Intake/registration forms, sign-in and appointment procedures.
- Process vouchers according to program guidelines.
- Gathers and documents in the database information from collaborative partners who provide services onsite at MAM.
- Processes immigration legal services’ payments (cash/credit) and turn in payments to accounting weekly.
- Trains volunteers to work the reception/intake desk and to do essential tasks.
- Manages the website calendar for assistance programs.
- Updates the PowerPoint slide show and flyers for the Welcome Center.
- Performs general administrative duties as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to MAM’s Mission, Philosophy of Services and Theory of Change.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from all walks of life and treat them with dignity, respect and fairness / the ability to separate personal values and beliefs from those of the people we serve.
- Demonstrates a very high level of emotional intelligence and ability to adjust their own approach in order to accommodate the needs of others.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Interest, ability and/or experience working with volunteers.
- HS diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years’ experience in reception, nonprofit customer service.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills
- Excellent attention to detail such as with data collection, data entry, scheduling and managing multiple tasks quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Intermediate+ skills with Microsoft Office, email, Internet, database, etc.
- Fully fluent in English (read, write, and conversation)
- Fully fluent in Spanish (read, write, and conversation)
- Flexible to occasionally work in the evening and/or weekends to accommodate the needs of MAM.
- Regularly must be available between the hours of 8:30-5PM Monday-Friday
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use keyboard, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms
- Required to have the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Required to remain at their workstation for prolonged periods of time
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions/ Work Environment:
- Primary work location is a climate-controlled indoor office environment
- Flexibility for travel related to job requirements.
- Provide own reliable transportation with proof of valid driver’s license and TX minimum requirements of auto insurance.
Our mission is to assure that families have the means to meet their basic needs. See our website, www.mamhouston.org for more information about our programs and organizational background.
Interested candidates should send:
- a resume
- application (PDF below)
- cover letter
Or complete the online application by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.
We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements. Thank you for your interest.
Upload the documents requested above during the online application process.